Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Hunger Games Casting News

Gale and Peeta have both been cast for the Hunger Games movie. Gale is going to be played by Liam Hemsworth and Peeta by Josh Hutcherson. I'm going to discuss Gale's casting first and then Peeta's casting.

Gale Hawthorne...I don't want to get all whiny about any sort of "whitewashing of movies", but seriously? Gale is said to have the common Seam working class look: olive skin, dark hair, gray eyes; Liam is rather run-of-the-mill Anglo. Not that he isn't hot because he is quite an attractive dude. Also, he is slightly older than Jennifer Lawrence, which works with the characters. I can't really judge his acting at all because I haven't seen him in anything. I know who he is for two reasons...he dated Miley Cyrus and was in that one movie with her that I didn't see because I have better taste than that and his brother is Thor and George Kirk! So, I suppose if he can act, he should be fine, though I really saw someone of a more diverse background in the part.

Peeta Mellark...Ok, so I am totally good with this casting. Peeta is described physically as rather middling build and kind (I also pictured him as quite hot, but in a sweet/adorable way and not in a heartthrobby kind of way). I think that Josh Hutcherson will do well in the role. He is rather young (just 18), but he has a rather extensive filmography. And though the only thing that I've actually seen him in is Zathura, I've heard good things about him in The Kids Are Alright. I think that he should be able to bring something very nice to the character of Peeta. Also, he's just rather adorable!

I am looking forward to how they fill out the rest of the cast. I am hoping that they get some really strong supporting characters for the other important roles like Haymitch, President Snow, Effie, Rue, and Cinna. I am not expecting The Hunger Games movie to be that great, but I am still hopeful that it can be good.

What do you think about the casting of the main boys?

No comments:

Post a Comment