Thursday, April 14, 2011

Dilemma

I am in a reading dilemma. I am currently reading "The Wedding Girl" by Madeleine Wickham, aka Sophie Kinsella. I am not terribly far into it and I am enjoying it, but also very worried that I'm not going to like it. Now, that doesn't make total sense. I am currently enjoying the book but I'm worried that I'm not going to enjoy it. Mental, no?

Here is my problem. I liked the set up. I liked the prologue. I like some of the things that the main character, Milly, does. I'm worried that I'm not going to end up liking the main character. I have had some mixed feelings on Kinsella books before. I love love love Twenties Girl, Remember Me, and Undomestic Goddess. But I couldn't even get half way through Confessions of a Shopaholic. So I am a bit worried that I'm going to hate Milly and not being able to read all of The Wedding Girl. Which is silly because I really want to read it.

I am also concerned because I'm not actually sure if the guy she may end up with is the guy I want her to end up with. Milly is engaged, but a guy from her past who knows a secret about her just showed up. See...normally in a chick lit, if the main character is engaged, it is to someone who is wrong for them. And Milly's guy is really nice. He isn't perfect, but neither is she (she acts like someone else around him, which makes me hate her just a little bit). I'm worried that she is going to end up with the new guy and her current beau is going to end up being screwed over, which he doesn't deserve because he is really nice. It is kinda like in The Notebook (yes I've read it, no I didn't really like it, no I haven't read any other Nicholas Sparks books). The fiance of the main chick gets screwed over for the "real love", but he was really nice and didn't deserve the treatment he got, all of which made me kind of hate the heroine a bit.

I'm going to keep reading, at least for a bit more, to see where the story goes. Maybe it will end up being one of my favorite books ever, but mostly I am just hoping that it doesn't disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment