Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Book Review: Lady of Skye by Meg Cabot

On my trip to Florida I read Lady of Skye by Meg Cabot (written as Patricia Cabot). I started and got half way through on the plane ride alone. It was a perfect vacation/plane read...fast, fluffy, fun!

I'm not going to review the plot because it was a romance novel, which means that the plot is mostly just the boy meets girl, they are from different worlds/want to hate each other/really love each other, they finally admit their feelings and get it on. Basic plot, lots of lusty tension, good resolve. Fun!

What I really liked about Lady of Skye were the characters. First, the story took place on a Scottish Island (Skye...hence the title), which is where the main heroine, Brenna is from. The main dude is a doctor named Reilly from London, but he is also nobility...a Marquis. Brenna has been being the doctor on the island since the previous surgeon left. The best thing about Brenna is that she is smart and strong. She has been acting as the doctor and vet and is trying to figure out why certain people died of Cholera. Freaking smart! But she is also strong. She has to constantly fend off the advances of the Duke and argue against the minister who feels that a 20 something year old woman shouldn't be living by herself and then she has to deal with Reilly. Reilly is pretty awesome too. He starts off a bit pretentious...he thinks that he knows all since he is a doctor. But he finds that Brenna does not care what he has to say for the most part. It is a fun dynamic.

Also, I just love Meg Cabot's writing. I have read a lot of her books and they are all great. Lady of Skye was not my favorite of her romance novels, nor do I think it was one of her best romance novels, but it sure was fun! The Scottish setting was fun, though after reading Karen Marie Moning, any other Scottish setting just isn't as good. And the main guy wasn't Scottish! Big bummer! I did, however, enjoy the way that the dialog was written as it would sound. When I read, I try to imagine the correct accent in my head, so it was nice to have the dialect written in. Overall, it was just a fun book! I didn't have to think or analyze or anything. Just read and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment