Thursday, March 24, 2011

Top Seven List

I am stealing an idea from a friend of mine's blog (http://readeroffictions.blogspot.com/ she does awesome book reviews, check her blog out!) of doing a top ten list of some topic. I am stealing it because I like lists and organization, but I am only doing seven because...why not? So...today's top seven list is going to be on books that everyone has read/says everyone should read that I have never read and don't plan on reading (at least not in the near future). Aka the "Kelly is obstinate" blog!

1) Pride & Prejudice (or really anything by Jane Austen)--I know that lots of people love Jane Austen. And I've seen a couple different movie versions of P & P and there is really nothing much about the story that would make me say "wow...that sounds like the kind of book I would enjoy". Just not my thing.

2) Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (and sequels)--I don't like when people tell me that I have to read something. And after Dragon Tattoo came out everyone who read it told me that I had to read it OMG! So, I have zero interest in it. At all. I may come around eventually, but at the moment...meh!

3) Anna Karenina/War & Peace--I have no idea what either of these books are about, but they seem like the quintessential pretentious novel. I am not a pretentious person (except in my use of British slang because I am a nut) so I don't see the point in reading pretentious novels.

4) The Great Gatsby--Again, this seems like one of those novels that everyone has read or says you should read or says is one of the best novels ever. I just don't care. 20s society is not my scene. I read the Magnificent Ambersons in high school and that seemed like enough high society for me.

5) Wuthering Heights--All I really know about it is Heathcliff, who is a tortured hero, which I tend to hate. So, like with Pride & Prejudice, I'm not just interested.

6) Catch-22/Brave New World--These two really don't have anything to do with one another, but I always seem to group them. They are some of those books that it seems like everyone has read and says is so great, but really the only reason people read them was because they were required for a class.

7) Gone with the Wind--This one I would actually like to read. I've heard it is great and it sounds interesting. And I love the movie. I just haven't bothered to do it yet.

So...that is my list. Do you have any classics you refuse to read? Or do you think I am on crack for not having read one of these?

3 comments:

  1. I have read every single one of those, except for three and seven (well, only the first in the Dragon Tattoo series...it was okay, but I think you're alright giving it a miss). I own the Tolstoy books, so I do plan to read them. Gone with the Wind I never ever want to read. I tried to watch the movie and it was one of the worst things ever. So no.

    I refuse to read anymore Thomas Hardy. One was way more than enough. Oh, and Moby Dick. That's definitely not happening.

    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I considered putting Moby Dick and some Thomas Hardy on my list as I am probably never going to read them either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! Some of those are on my list, too. I'm no fan of the Victorians, so P&P and WH are also on my list (although I'm fairly sure I read them in college or high school).

    I've recently become a bit of a Civil War buff, so the only thing I really disagree with you on is Gone With the Wind. 1000 pages on how **awesome** the Confederate South was? Um, no thanks. That sounds so repulsive, I can't imagine why I'd do that to myself. Yuck.

    I wonder what would be on my list? I'd definitely have to think about it.

    ReplyDelete