Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Fashion!

I just wrote an entire blog post and then deleted it because it was going nowhere. All ramble, no point. I'm going to attempt to write a blog with a point now. Though I'm not sure I every really do that. We'll see. Today's topic is fashion.

I have never been particularly girly. Growing up I had a few girly tendencies like doing ballet and having long hair. But I really could not have cared less about fashion, makeup, doing my hair nicely, watching chick flicks, wearing dresses, wearing heels, or acting at all girly. In a lot of ways, I haven't changed a lot; I am still not particularly girly. I still can't figure out why people would spend time putting on make up in the morning and I would much rather see a movie with blood, sex, and car chases than romance, but the one thing that has evolved is my fashion. I have slowly and sneakily become a bit of a fashion girl.

This isn't to say that I follow the trends and wear all the hottest clothes and all that junk. I have just learned how to create an outfit and have figured out my style. For example, the outfit I'm wearing today is the perfect example; I am essentially in a grownup version of jeans and a t-shirt. I have on jeans, a blouse, a jacket, boots, and a necklace. On the surface, nothing too out of the ordinary or too fancy. But let me explain outfit in some detail. The blouse is an abstract sort of flower pattern with black, hot pink, bright blue, and a bit of purple. The jacket is a velvet blazer; a bit of a masculine cut, but with only one button. The necklace is a ridiculously chunky chains and beads layered piece with a giant-ass flower. And the boots are grey four inch heeled ankle boots. I look fierce.

On the weekends, I am usually in just jeans or cargo pants, a t-shirt and a sweatshirt. My preferred footwear are tennis shoes or flip flops. I'm a casual sort of person. But at work, I like dressing up. I like wearing dresses and shirts, though mine are all above the knee and are either satin, camo ruffles, teal, or crazy hot pink patterned. I don't do normal, bland, basic at work. But I also don't do overtly feminine. Even in a skirt, I like having the structure of a masculine look. I prefer a blazer jacket to a cardigan (I don't really do sweaters ever at all). I have my hair short now and tend to spike it or make it into a faux hawk. I wear boots or gladiator sandals and never pumps. I would describe my style as fierce and strong. Feminine with masculine touches or masculine with feminine touches, depending on the day. And you know what, I like doing it. I like figuring out my outfit. I like wearing that extra piece of crazy jewelry. I like making people take an extra second to take in my outfit. The best comment I've heard about an outfit was when I was in my camo ruffled dress, a khaki jacket, and a pair of brown motorcycle/cowboy boots. I was told that I looked like I was going to a Cyndi Lauper concert. It was meant as a compliment and I took it as such.

That is what my style is. It is different from everyone else and it took a while to perfect it. I now can go to the store and pick out the jacket and shoes and necklace that will work for me. It is fun to have style and be different. And really, nothing beats strutting around in a pair of four inch heels. I suggest everyone give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment