Thursday, February 3, 2011

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella: Review

Sometimes when I pick a book to read, I don't read the inside flap/back cover. I like to be surprised by the plot. I learned this from reading mystery novels. I always hate it that the summary tells who gets killed. In the first few chapters of the book I like to try to figure out who is going to get killed. Twenties Girl is not a mystery, but I still didn't read the back. I had been told that I would like it and that it had a ghost in it and that was all I knew.

I really enjoyed Twenties Girl. I found the main character, Lara very likable, if somewhat challenged when it came to guys. Her great-aunt Sadie who she didn't know dies at age 105 and appears at her own funeral as a ghost, though her ghost self looks like she did at 23. Lara is the only one who can see/hear Sadie, which means that Sadie is kind of stuck with Lara to try to get her favorite necklace, which has disappeared, back. Kind of a complicated premise for a story that is more about the people than the plot.

As I said, Lara was very likable, as is Sadie. They are polar opposites in some ways, but they end up influencing each other in good ways. Lara, for as much as she complains about Sadie, really does listen to most everything Sadie tells her to do. I also like that everyone thinks that Lara is kinda crazy because it looks like she is talking to herself. I liked when she would write something down for Sadie and then Sadie would respond orally. It was kinda fun to imagine if I would be able to not react to a ghost. Lots of multitasking! As a subplot, there is the relationship drama. Lara's old boyfriend has broken up with her and she isn't over it. She ends up using Sadie and her powers to try to get him back. Sadie, however, has found a guy, Ed, that she likes and makes Lara "date" him by proxy.

I gotta say, I would have loved for Ed to be in the book more. He was just kind of a normal guy and the relationship between Lara and Ed grew naturally, I think. Most chick lit novels have the love at first sight or hate at first sight thing. Ed and Lara were pushed together by Sadie and really just kinda like each other ok at first. They get on well, but don't care to date. I really enjoyed that the relationship stuff was in the background. But really...more Ed!

Overall, I am torn about Sophie Kinsella as an author. I really love some of her books like this one, Remember Me, and Undomesticated Goddess, but I didn't even make it halfway through Confessionals of a Shopaholic. I appreciate that her plots are intriguing and definitely not the standard chick lit formula. And the guys are always fun, normal guys. But I find her main heroines to be a bit daft usually. For British chick lit, I'd probably stick with Hester Browne as my number one, but Kinsella is definitely entertaining.

I am now reading Just Desserts, the first book in the Savannah Reid mystery series by G.A. McKevett. Apparently I am going to continue with my chick lit and mystery kick. Stay tuned for more reviews! And probably more blogs about non-book things. Because that is how I roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment