Monday, February 7, 2011

Another day, another mystery novel

I read Just Desserts by G.A. McKevett. It was good. Not amazing, but decent. I enjoyed that I totally didn't call who the killer way until the end and I really enjoyed the characters.

The main heroine was Savannah, a southern belle from Georgia who is a forty-ish detective in LA. She has a big family back home, but no boyfriend/husband/kid. She spends most of her time with her partner, Dirk. Immediately, I liked the two together. Dirk is very old-school detective...gruff, grumbly, sarcastic...and Savannah matches that sarcasm with ease, adding in a healthy dose of saying exactly what pops into her head. I like a strong female character who stand her ground no matter what, so I liked Savannah.

About half way through the book, Ryan Stone was introduced, who I loved. He is kind of set up as the guy to fall in love with for Savannah, but then that story line ended up going in a much better direct. I was pleasantly surprised by the twist as I really didn't see it coming. The minor characters were mostly fun, though I wasn't a huge fan of the subplot with Savannah's sister Atlanta. I could have done without it.

The most I reflect on the story, the most I think I liked it. I didn't feel terribly invested in it, but it is a long series, so I think I will be more invested after a few books. Kinda like The Cat Who Books. I'm excited to have a new series of books to read that I can actually get all of at the library, as compared to Jess Lourey, who I can only get a couple books of. Darn small town libraries!

The next book I am going to read is Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment