Thursday, September 2, 2010

Would you judge your date by his book's cover?

Apparently, a bookstore in Brooklyn has a new dating service - matchmaking based on your book preferences.

Apparently, Word Bookstore has a corkboard where people can post their favorite books and contact information in an attempt to find a hot date.

Cute, right? I would have been all over that when I was a swingin' single nerd lookin' for love. Sometimes, finding out peoples' favorite books can tell you a lot about them.

But I can also see this being an invitation to total douchebaggery. Some people will judge you on the books you love, and if there's even one "wrong" book or writer on your list, they will reject you, and that's just lame. It's the same as rejecting somebody immediately because they like to listen to ABBA or watch "Survivor."

If my husband and I judged each other on our book tastes exclusively, we probably wouldn't have ended up together. Although we have encouraged each other to read some of our favorites (I read a "Star Wars" novel; he FINALLY read "Harry Potter"), our tastes in books really don't overlap that much ... and that's OK. A relationship would get boring if you and your significant other liked all the same things.

Spending time with somebody with different tastes than you (in anything, not just books) also expands your horizons. There are things I never would have experienced and ideas I never would have considered if I would have married a clone of myself, with all the same tastes.

I'm not saying that a book isn't a great way to start a conversation that could lead to friendship or a romantic relationship, and I love that people are using books to find other people. But if you do, don't let differences of taste on something like books come between you and an interesting person. The truth is, the books can be a great conversation starter, and a great thing to talk about over dinner or on a long car ride for years to come.

What do you think? Do you judge a person by the book he or she is reading? Is this a good way to pick up a date?

No comments:

Post a Comment