Sunday, August 29, 2010

Today's book chat: Bookstore vs. Library

Welcome to another book chat! This time about Bookstores vs. Libraries. And Organization. Sorry for any editing problems...I was watching Dr. Who while editing.

Jenny: I like both.

Kelly: Me too!

Jenny: Bookstore vs. Library ... fight!

Kelly: Well, I am a fan of libraries because I work in one, and have worked in many. But I also own many books

Jenny: Actually, this is an appropriate topic, because I went to a bookstore this week and didn't buy two books because I looked them up and saw that we had them in the local library.

Kelly: I definitely buy more books out here in New Hampshire since the libraries are smaller and don't have as much of what I like to read

Jenny: I like to buy books because a lot of time I don't have time to read them in two, or even four, weeks, so I have to renew and re-check them out, and it's annoying!

Kelly: yeah

Jenny: But, it's nice because there is only a tiny bookstore in town so when I neeeeeeeeeed a book RIGHT NOW I can go to the library a few blocks away and check one out. Also? Free!

Kelly: Yes! Free is awesome. There are some books though that I definitely want to buy. Like Sookie Stackhouse, Meg Cabot, and some mystery series. And Stephen King. When I want to read something right away

Jenny: I have several series I like to own, but I generally share them with lots of people.

Kelly: or I know I'll want to reread it

Jenny: Yep. I bought "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" because it had several holds before it.

Kelly: Yeah. I have done that too. Also, I have a tendency to read a book from the library, love it, and then go buy it

Jenny: I do that occasionally too. If I'm taking something on vacation, I also tend to buy the books. I hate taking library books on vacation.

Kelly: Mom does that too

Jenny: I'm afraid to ruin a library book!

Kelly: Yeah. I've taken library books on vacation before, but not often

Jenny: Does that worry librarians? People taking books? on vacation?

Kelly: Nope! As long as the book comes back in decent condition, we care not

Jenny: There's no fine print on library cards? "Do not take this book out of the county!"

Kelly: Strangely enough, librarians tend to like people to read regardless of where they might be

Jenny: WEIRD!

Kelly: Cha! So, lacking a transition, I'll just change course...

Jenny: OK!

Kelly: New or used book store?

Jenny: I tend to do new books.

Kelly: See, if possible, I do used. Either book store or book sale

Jenny: I don't know, sometimes used books just feel ... weird.

Kelly: But...cheap!

Jenny: Yes, I do love cheap. I don't know, sometimes I just love it when the books are MINE MINE ALL MINE!

Kelly: Hmmm...how very strange. Depending on the book, it is sometimes easier to find in a used book store

Jenny: I like that you can get out of print books.

Kelly: Yep. Stephen King is easier to find if you are looking for older stuff

Jenny: Or outdated Dungeons & Dragons books, in the system we use.

Kelly: Hehe. Also, there is something fun about searching shelves to try to find exactly what you are looking for Or going in with no idea what you are looking for

Jenny: Yeah, you can get some really quirky stuff, it's not just the mass market stuff you get at a big store.

Kelly: Yep! Wait, so you don't like getting used books, but you are ok with books that many people have read from a library?

Jenny: Ummm ... yes? You know, that is weird.

Kelly: Haha

Jenny: My world is crumbling around me.

Kelly: Sorry to point out your craziness!

Jenny: Sadness. There's something fun about having a new book when I own it, rather than a used book when I own it. But if it's not mine, whatever.

Kelly: I mean, I kind of understand. But it is still weird

Jenny: I suppose it is. Do you have any weird things about books like that?

Kelly: Ummmm.....no? Not that I can think of

Jenny: I know you like to organize all your books?

Kelly: That is the librarian thing....But yeah, I do like to organize my books. Right now they are in subject order

Jenny: Mine are scattered all over the house. At least I think all of my Harry Potter books are on one bookshelf.

Kelly: My Meg Cabot books are all together, Stephen King is all together, Romance is all together. Mysteries are all together. I'm a nerd

Jenny: All the hubby's Star Wars books are together, so that's something!

Kelly: Hehe. I just realized that all my puzzles are organized also

Jenny: Hubby says we're going to organize the books, but I doubt it. Yes, but you are an uber-nerd.

Kelly: To be fair, my dvds aren't really in any specific order

Jenny: Anymore.

Kelly: They used to be alphabetical...

Jenny: I remember.

Kelly: Now they are in a cabinet and in the order of "my favorites in front"

Jenny: well, that's a good way to organize. Wow, our book chat has devolved into a discussion of organization. LAME-O.

Kelly: Hehe. I like organization. I'm a librarian!

Jenny: I am organized at work, kinda. I don't normally put a story in the newspaper more than once.

Kelly: Hahahaha. My books aren't really that organized right now because I really don't have enough shelf space for them all

Jenny: Yeah, I had to buy a new shelf for upstairs. It really helped things a lot! YAY! OK, I think we're running out of stuff to talk about. Wah-wah.

Kelly: hahaha. Ok....we can end. And....bookchat done!

Jenny: And ... fin.

2 comments: