Friday, August 6, 2010

Friday Afternoon Book Chat

Our first try of doing a book chat. I did some editing to make it slightly more legible, but mostly it is just Jenny and I chatting. If you have any ideas of what you would like us to discuss, let us know!

Kelly: What do you want to talk about

Jenny: wanna talk about favorite summer/vacation reads?

Kelly: ok
how do you define a summer/vacation read?

Jenny: As what I read during the summer or when I am on vacation, of course! ;)

Kelly: Thank you captain obvious!
Do you tend to read something different on vacation/summer than you do any other time?
Because I tend to only read "summer beach reads"

Jenny: Well, in the last few years I have tended more toward breezy, easy reads in general, but in the summer I definitely like to read easier books.

Kelly: i totally get that

Jenny: In summer and on vacation I'm much more likely to put down a book and go outside to have fun because it's so nice out.

Kelly: ah, see, when i think of summer reads, i think of books that i can sit outside and read
i find trashy romances are nice to sit outside and read
and teen books
i have quite the spectrum of reading...

Jenny: Ha ha!
I used to be the opposite when I was in school ... I would read easy books while school was in session because I would have to put it down in favor of homework and books for school.

Kelly: yeah, same

Jenny: Then, in the summer I would pick up a big ol' brick of a book.

Kelly: i also used to try to expand my reading in the summer...read a different genre or a heftier book because i had more time to dedicate to reading

Jenny: Exactly.

Kelly: damn job and its all-year-roundness
i now only read trash

Jenny: Yeah, I started trying to read "Sense and Sensibility" last year and I put it down after a couple of chapters because it was just too much to try to read with work and housework and everything else.

Kelly: right
the last "good" book i read was "shadow of the wind" and it took me forever!
it was super good, but sooooo confusing
right after that, i started the sookie stackhouse books

Jenny: Much easier!

Kelly: but now you are reading Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
that is a pretty solid book
and critically acclaimed?

Jenny: Yes, but it's also really easy to read. I read a good chunk of it yesterday just waiting for grandma at the doctor's office.

Kelly: nice
i've heard it is thriller-y
dan brown ish?

Jenny: Yeah, kind of. It's less of a straight thriller and more of a kind of crime mystery with thriller aspects.

Kelly: hmmmm
it sounds like something i would enjoy, but i'm kinda meh on it
so much hype

Jenny: Yeah, but you hate anything with hype.

Kelly: so true!

Jenny: Hype is your kryptonite.

Kelly: it renders me illiterate
but anyway....what else have you been reading this summer?

Jenny: I read "Moon Called" by Patricia Briggs.

Kelly: werewolf mechanic?

Jenny: Coyote shapeshifter mechanic, but yes.

Kelly: nice

Jenny: It was incredibly silly, but I enjoyed it. Same genre as the Sookie Stackhouse books, thought I didn't like it quite as much as I like Sookie.

Kelly: well, nothing is really as good as Sookie
i have been reading the Blackbird Sister Mysteries by Nancy Martin recently

Jenny: You and your mysteries!

Kelly: hey, you read some cat whos didn't you?
that is mystery

Jenny: Yes, and the next three are sitting on my coffee table!

Kelly: nice!
i have a ton here too

Jenny: You know what else I like to read, especially in the summer? Stephen King books.

Kelly: Strangely enough, I like reading Stephen King in the winter more
they are such good books to sit at night, in the dark, and read all wrapped up in a blanket

Jenny: True.
Really, Stephen King is good to read anytime.

Kelly: i feel like bright sunshine doesn't give the right mood for King
Richard Bachman are good in the summer

Jenny: I've never read any of his Bachman books!

Kelly: more violence
faster pacing

Jenny: I read "Cell" earlier in the summer. I loved it, especially the ending. It just sort of ... stopped.

Kelly: Right? that is totally how quite a few King books end
The Long Run...totally just ends

Jenny: I like reading his stuff on vacation - I believe I read all of "The Shining" on spring break one year, although that would be a perfect winter book.

Kelly: yeah
I read IT on spring break in high school...i read it on the bus to Florida when I couldn't sleep at night
a nice peaceful book to lull one to sleep

Jenny: Then you REALLY couldn't sleep at night!

Kelly: hehe

Jenny: I read "It" when I lived alone, and I used to have to watch like an hour of happy TV before I could fall asleep.

Kelly: hehe
I'm trying to think of what else I've read this summer.

Jenny: Insatiable!

Kelly: ooo...I read Kiss of the Highlander by Karen Marie Moning
and Insatiable
it has kind of been the summer of vampires/romance/murder mysteries
and teen books
I have read numerous David Levinthan books this summer

Jenny: Speaking of ... Sean watched Nick and Norah's Inifinate Playlist last night. Have you seen that movie or read the book? I haven't.

Kelly: OOOooo I love the book and own the movie!

Jenny: Sean LOVED the movie.

Kelly: It is awesome and the book is even better!
Definitely read the book and then we can watch the movie
It is really interesting to read since it was written by two different authors

Jenny: Crap! Another book I need to read!

Kelly: it will take you like 3 hours to read
i read it all in one day
kind of how i read all of david levinthan's books

Jenny: They have it at the teen library ... it shall be next on my list after "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo."
Maybe.

Kelly: do it!
seriously...do it!

Jenny: Unless I get distracted by some other shiny book.

Kelly: i need to finish the book I'm reading so i can read some of the new trashy romances i have

Jenny: Yes, did you like the ones I bought you?

Kelly: mom went through the ones you bought and told me which ones were good and which were extremely dirty
i also got a ton of new paperbacks at the hospital days book sale here
i am fully stocked with trash

Jenny: Yay! When I come visit I can borrow some trashy books from you!

Kelly: yes!

Jenny: Yay!

Kelly: i'll make a pile of the good ones for you

Jenny: We will be living up to the Book Tarts name by reading tarty books!

Kelly: hehe
I do what I can

Do you have any favorite summer reads? Let us know!

No comments:

Post a Comment