Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Chick Lit!

I was going to write a review of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 1, but as I am not great about reviewing things, especially without spoilers, I won't. There are approximately 87 billion reviews out there, so read one (or 8) of those.

Instead, I am going to blog about Chick Lit! Yes, Jenny and I have blogged about it before, but I am going to discuss it again because I like to read Chick Lit and I am not ashamed to admit it. This week when I went to the library I checked out The Spellmans Strike Again by Lisa Lutz, Our Lady of Immaculate Deception by Nancy Martin, and Undomesticated Goddess by Sophie Kinsella. Now, the first two books fall firmly into the category of Mystery, but they are still Chick Lit-y. And Sophie Kinsella is textbook Chick Lit. I felt like such a girl for my book selections. Especially because I usually balance my Chick Lit with Fantasy, YA, and Thriller. But not this week. And not last week either. And not really for the past month or so. I've read some YA, but mostly chick lit and chick lit mysteries. Nancy Martin is specifically my favorite category of book right now. Definitely a murder mystery book where the heroine solves the case, but a lot of relationship/guy drama thrown in. I would still read about the characters even if there were no murder. Joanne Fluke is the same way, but she hasn't had a new book out in a while and I have read all of her stuff. Lisa Lutz is really not chick lit, but it kinda feels like a chick lit. That kind of fun, no thinking, crazy things happen to her type book, but with a main character who is like the anti-heroine of a chick lit book. It definitely has aspects of chick lit though with an unmarried 30 something woman whose mother keeps setting her up on blind dates. Fun times ensue!

But anyway, I have been all about girly novels lately. I try not to analyze my reading too much, but I find that I read in trends. I think the chick lit is backlash from a few months back when I was reading pretty much exclusively dystopic novels. I read Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella a couple weeks ago (I meant to review it for this blog, but apparently didn't. Maybe after I read Undomesticated Goddess I'll review both) and really got hooked on the genre again. It is kinda funny (to me) that I read chick lit because if you know me in real life, I am practically the embodiment of anti-chick lit. I hate shopping, don't obsess over having/getting/keeping/wanting a boyfriend, don't wear makeup, rarely wear dresses, etc. Any stereotypical chick lit heroine character trait, I don't have (except for shoes...I love hot shoes). I suspect that is why I like chick lit...it is opposite of what I am. It is a get away. A chance to live in the world of shopping and guys and shoes and fabulousness without any of the work or the money or the time involved.

Also, chick lit seems ideal cold fall day reading. What could be better than to lay on my couch, wrap up in a blanket, drink some hot chocolate, and read a book that takes zero brain power? Nothing is the answer you were looking for. In the winter I get bleak and boring so I can tackle dystopias and long, complicated novels. But in the fall, just getting into the cold, it is best to just shut off the brain and relax with an entertaining book.

Just as a side note, if I actually decide to review things I read, I should have lots of posts next week as I am planning a solid two days of reading this weekend. I should be able to get through at least 3 or 4 books as what I have is all chick lit and YA. Yay for slacker reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment