Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Nerd or Geek?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/12/02/nerd.or.geek/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Such a hard distinction to say. What makes someone a nerd vs. a geek? Can you be both? Are either an insult? I have some pretty personal knowledge of what I think a nerd is and what I think a geek is and I am going to share with you what I think. And then you should comment and let me know if you think I am right or wrong (if you are a geek or a nerd, you are probably used to commenting/arguing about topics so that shouldn't be a problem).

I would consider myself a nerd. I have a Bachelors of Science in Informatics with a minor in Cyber Security (and a minor in Art History) and I have a Masters in Library Science with a specialization in Library Technology Management and a focus in Digital Libraries. Just the fact that I have all of that and like to share it makes me a nerd. My hobbies include reading, doing puzzles, playing Scrabble, and playing puzzle/word games on the computer. However, I am not a traditional nerd. Along with all my nerdy academics, I am also a dancer, currently ballet, tap, and ballroom, and I used to do competitive ballroom in college. I am also a runner and a shoe-whore and a lover of sparkly things and have been known to sport a faux-hawk.

I would not consider myself a geek, though I have geeky tendencies. I always think of geeks as having a specific cause or focus. My sister would probably be considered a Star Wars geek. She can name (or used to be able to name) all of the creatures in Star Wars. When she was little, she was a dinosaur geek...as in she knew more about dinosaurs than probably anyone else in our hometown. What a geek! My geekiness tends to be about Harry Potter and Doctor Who/Torchwood. I can discuss, at length, certain things about the Harry Potter universe and have been to a Sci-Fi Con that was all about Harry Potter. And I may have won Harry Potter trivia. But I don't really analyze anything about it. And I have only read the stuff written by J.K. Rowling and none of the companion/encyclopedia stuff. And I really don't care that things in the movies are different from the books (bad geek!). I also geek out about Doctor Who and Torchwood, but I have only been watching them for about 9 months, so I don't think I've really put in the time to be a geek. I have looked up the Who-verse time line (geeky!) but I got confused and stopped trying to figure it out (bad geek!).

It is strange because the general assumption is that nerds are more socially awkward and geeks can blend into mainstream more, but I think that is kind of backwards in a way. A nerd may be more awkward, but a geek is more likely to speak up if you are wrong about something they love. And I am a nerd, but I am definitely mainstream. I mean, I am a librarian (nerdy!), but I have no problem with the human interaction part of the job and really enjoy being around and working with people. So, am I not really a nerd, even though I associate as such? Or is the distinction more basic than I am making it...a nerd is intelligent and a geek is an idiot-savant? Can you be a general geek or do you have to have a focus? And what about the D&D or comics crowd? They definitely have a focus and would call them geeks, but they would be more likely to be seem as nerds. I can't really speak to that as I don't do either thing (bad geek! bad nerd!), but I do enjoy playing Munchkin (nerdy! geeky!) and really liked reading/playing Order of the Stick (nerdy! geeky!). Though to be fair, I just like being Haley Starshine because she is a rogue and all about treasure and if you have played Munchkin with me, you know that I will do anything for treasure. And now I have out-nerded myself with that tangent. Or out-geeked myself? Or, am I a nerd because I enjoy it and not a geek because I am not obsessed?

So nerds and geeks alike, give me your opinions! Am I right in my analysis of the cultures? Would you consider me a nerd or a geek or both or neither? Or is part of being a nerd or a geek not caring wha the label is and just being secure in what you like?

No comments:

Post a Comment